Steampunk Brew Works Homebrew Competition Info
Registration is closed.
Entry registration is closed.
1. The Steampunk Brew Works Homebrew Competition is an AHA Sanctioned event open to all homebrewers in the greater St. Louis metro area.
2. An entry is a set of three (3) bottles from a single batch of beer. The bottles must be made of brown glass and be free from excessive dirt and identifying marks. All bottles must be filled within an inch and a half of the top and hold at least 10oz and not more than 22oz. All bottles must be capped with a metal crown cap, and caps must be plain colored, or be completely blacked out with a black permanent marker. Swing-type caps and/or corks are not permitted. Entries not meeting these requirements may be disqualified.
3. An entrant is the one or more people submitting an entry as a homebrewer or as a homebrewing club. All persons included on an entry must have actively contributed to brewing, fermenting, and bottling. All persons must be 21 years old or older.
4. Entries are capped at a total of 100 entries.
5. The fee for each entry is $8.00 (USD). Call the shop (636-230-8277) or stop in to complete your registration.
6. No member of an entrant may submit more than one entry of the same subcategory, whether as an individual entrant, a member of the same entrant, or a member of another entrant.
7. Every entry must be submitted with a bottle identification label attached to each bottle using a rubberband.
8. All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers.
9. Judging will take place in two rounds. The first round will be conducted using 2015 BJCP Guidelines and should be labeled accordingly. A panel of at least two judges will judge each entry according to the specified category and or subcategory. First round judging will take place on November 8th. The second round, which is optional, will be by popular vote on November 16th and will be judged by attendees of the event. Entrants wishing to participate in the popular voting round will need to bring at least 2 gallons worth of beer to the event to sample out. The two scores will be combined to create a total score. The Best of show and 3 first place winners winning beers will be judged using this score.
10. Entries will be accepted at Steampunk Brew Works (231 Lamp and Lantern Village, 63017) from September 17 through November 6. The competition organizers are not responsible for mis-categorized entries, mailed entries that are not received by the entry deadline, or entries that arrive damaged.
11. All entries become the property of Steampunk Brew Works and will not be returned. Any questions or disputes will be settled by the competition organizers, and all decisions are final.
12. The homebrew competition will name one (1) grand prize winner (Best in Show) and three (3) first place winners (based on score) on November 16, 2019.
13. The grand prize winner will choose one month (January 2020, February 2020, or March 2020) to brew the winning beer at Steampunk Brew Works.
14. The resulting beer will be on tap at The Brewery the following month and will be property of Steampunk Brew Works.
15. The grand prize winner will also receive 5 gallons of the beer and a 50 lb bag of base malt.
16. First place winners will each receive a 50 lb bag of base malt.
17. All Prizes must be picked up at the brewery.
BJCP 2015 Judging Styles
If a style's name is hyperlinked, it has specific entry requirements. Click or tap on the name to view the subcategory's requirements.
|1C Cream Ale||1D American Wheat Beer||2A International Pale Lager|
|2B International Amber Lager||2C International Dark Lager||3A Czech Pale Lager|
|3B Czech Premium Pale Lager||3C Czech Amber Lager||3D Czech Dark Lager|
|4A Munich Helles||4B Festbier||4C Helles Bock|
|5A German Leichtbier||5B Kolsch||5C German Exportbier|
|5D German Pils||6A Marzen||6B Rauchbier|
|6C Dunkels Bock||7A Vienna Lager||7B Altbier|
|7C Kellerbier||8A Munich Dunkel||8B Schwarzbier|
|9A Doppelbock||9B Eisbock||9C Baltic Porter|
|10A Weissbier||10B Dunkels Weissbier||10C Weizenbock|
|11A Ordinary Bitter||11B Best Bitter||11C Strong Bitter|
|12A English Golden Ale||12B Australian Sparkling Ale||12C English IPA|
|13A Dark Mild||13B English Brown Ale||13C English Porter|
|14A Scottish Light||14B Scottish Heavy||14C Scottish Export|
|15A Irish Red Ale||15B Irish Stout||15C Irish Extra Stout|
|16A Sweet Stout||16B Oatmeal Stout||16C Tropical Stout|
|16D Foreign Extra Stout||17A British Strong Ale||17A1 Burton Ale|
|17B Old Ale||17C Wee Heavy||17D English Barleywine|
|18A Blonde Ale||18B American Pale Ale||19A American Amber Ale|
|19B California Common||19C American Brown Ale||20A American Porter|
|20B American Stout||20C Imperial Stout||21A American IPA|
|21B Specialty IPA||21B1 Belgian IPA||21B2 Black IPA|
|21B3 Brown IPA||21B4 Red IPA||21B5 Rye IPA|
|21B6 White IPA||21B7 New England IPA||22A Double IPA|
|22B American Strong Ale||22C American Barleywine||22D Wheatwine|
|23A Berliner Weisse||23B Flanders Red Ale||24A Witbier|
|24B Belgian Pale Ale||24C Biere de Garde||25A Belgian Blond Ale|
|25B Saison||25C Belgian Golden Strong Ale||26A Trappist Single|
|26B Belgian Dubbel||26C Belgian Tripel||26D Belgian Dark Strong Ale|
|27A Historical Beer||27A1 Gose||27A2 Piwo Grodziskie|
|27A3 Lichtenhainer||27A4 Roggenbier||27A5 Sahti|
|27A6 Kentucky Common||27A7 Pre-Prohibition Lager||27A8 Pre-Prohibition Porter|
|27A9 London Brown Ale||28C Wild Specialty Beer||29A Fruit Beer|
|29B Fruit and Spice Beer||29C Speciality Fruit Beer||30A Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer|
|30B Autumn Seasonal Beer||30C Winter Seasonal Beer||31A Alternative Grain Beer|
|31B Alternative Sugar Beer||32A Classic Style Smoked Beer||32B Specialty Smoked Beer|
|33A Wood-Aged Beer||33B Specialty Wood-Aged Beer||34A Clone Beer|
|34B Mixed-Style Beer||34C Experimental Beer||M4A Braggot|
|PRX2 IPA Argenta||PRX4 Catharina Sour||PRX5 New Zealand Pilsner|
Number of Bottles Required Per Entry: 2
Judging Session Locations and Dates
The awards ceremony will take place once judging is completed.
Places will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category/table.
The 1st place entry in each category will advance to the Best of Show (BOS) round with a single, overall Best of Show beer selected.
Additional prizes may be awarded to those winners present at the awards ceremony at the discretion of the competition organizers.
Both score sheets and awards will be available for pick up that night after the ceremony concludes. Awards and score sheets not picked up will be mailed back to participants. Results will be posted to the competition web site after the ceremony concludes.
Steampunk Brew Works
231 Lamp and Lantern VLG
Saturday, November 16, 2019 12:00 AM, CST